How Can Life Insurance Help You With Your Estate Planning?.
The death benefit from a life insurance policy may leave your beneficiaries with enough liquid assets to be able to complete your wishes. Having a life insurance policy may also help you to ensure that your beneficiaries are taken care of financially so that there is not a need to liquidate your estate after you pass away.
How can a life insurance policy help?
- The death benefit from your life insurance policy may be used by your beneficiaries to pay off debt and maintain their lifestyle after you are gone if they are dependent on your financially.
- You may choose to leave a portion of your estate to one heir and the death benefit from your life insurance policy to another heir as a way of dividing up and creating an equitable inheritance. The death benefit from a life insurance policy is typically paid to the beneficiary in one lump sum.
- It may be necessary for your heirs to pay taxes on your estate and other costs after you die. The death benefit from your life insurance policy may be used to cover those estate settlement costs.
- Your life insurance death benefit can protect your beneficiaries by acting as a means to replace your income after you pass away.
- You may choose to make a charitable contribution by leaving all or part of your death benefit to charity. Because gifts to charity are estate deductible, the gift amount would not be subject to estate taxes after you die.
- As long as you do not name the estate as the beneficiary to your life insurance policy, the death benefit from your policy can typically be transferred to your beneficiaries without delay.
The death benefit from a life insurance policy may help you with your estate planning and protecting your beneficiaries in a number of ways. If most of your estate is tied up in real estate and other property, the death benefit from your life insurance policy may be used by your beneficiaries for living expenses, any inheritance taxes they may have to pay, and other expenses. Leaving your beneficiaries with the money from a life insurance death benefit may prevent them from having to quickly liquidate estate assets.If you have an estate to leave to heirs and have individuals who are financially dependent on your income, a life insurance policy can help you plan so that your beneficiaries are taken care of financially after you pass away, without worry.
If you have determined that having a life insurance policy may help you with your estate planning, be sure to research different types of policies to find one that best suits your needs.
Kathy Kara is a blog writer on life insurance topics for sites such as Best Life Insurance Deals.